Home Page
Home Page

Fielding Primary School and Nursery

Wednesday 8th February 2017 - Featherstone

Fielding brought 2 teams to the Featherstone Hockey tournament today with the hope of claiming another victory. Both A and B teams were strong and we had high hopes that both teams would be in with a chance of getting through the group stages and into the semi finals.There were 20 teams entered in the tournament, split across 4 groups, with a place in the semi's the prize for each of the group winners.


The Fielding B team were drawn in a group with Three Bridges A, Khalsa B, Mount Carmel C and St. Anselm's B. Fielding B's first game was against Three Bridges A team in a game that proved to be extremely tough as our guys found themselves on the end of a 4-0 defeat. Game 2 was up against St. Anselm's and again we found it very difficult to get into our stride as we ended up losing 3-0. Game 3 was against the Mount Carmel 'C' team who ended up being the A team. After 2 defeats we were low on confidence but we did manage to finally get our first goal. However, it was little consolation as we lost 3-1. Our final game against Khalsa B was forfeit as Khalsa could not field a team. The day ended there for a B team with a very disappointing bottom of the group finish.



The Fielding A team were drawn in Group 4 with Berrymede B, Hambrough A, East Acton and Little Ealing. The A team's first game was against Berrymede B in a game which was the complete opposite to our B team as they went on to win 7-1. They went into their second game against Little Ealing with bags of confidence to produce another very good performance with a 5-2 victory. Third up for Fielding A was Hambrough A. Again our guys played some excellent hockey and controlled the game well as they won 4-0. Our final game against East Acton was by far our toughest test so far, with the guys having to work their absolute hardest to grind out a 2-0 win. So after 4 games the A team finished top of the group having won every game to set up a semi final match up with Three Bridges A.



We knew a bit about Three Bridges A as they beat our B team in the group stage so we went into the game expecting a battle. We were right with our expectations as we finally found ourselves on the end of a defeat as they scored 3 past us as we only scored 1. The loss put us into the 3rd/4th playoff game against Three Bridges B. This was another very hard game which was tight all the way through. When the final whistle blew the score was locked at 1-1 and so moved into golden goal extra time. The whistle blew and 20 seconds must have passed before we had the ball in the Three Bridges goal to claim third place with a 2-1 win. So as they day drew to a close, we headed back to school fairly satisfied as 1 of our teams were wearing bronze medals around the necks.