Top education researchers tell us that homework has minimal impact for primary age pupils, unless it requires children to rehearse and practise. We have therefore adapted our routines to reflect this. The routines for children in this year group are as follows:
Please read the information about our new reading challenge:
Once the children have read a book, they will need to complete one of the reading activities outlined below. This can be done in their reading planners or on a separate piece of paper.
Activitiy choices (you can do the same one twice):
1. Compare the book to another book you have read. What was similar? What was different? Think about the characters/ setting and events.
2. Draw a picture of your favourite character and write down five words or phrases to describe the character's personality and five words or phrases to describe their appearance.
3. As you're reading, list any unfamiliar words and write down the meaning.
4. If you could make one change to the story, what would it be and why?
5. Make a note of 3 of your favourite sentences and explain why you like them.
6. Complete a 'story S' which outlines the main events of the story.
5 books = Bronze Award
10 books = Silver Award
15 Books = Gold Award