What, where and when?
Fielding has an Orchestra with almost 40 members from Keys Stage 2. It rehearses on Wednesday mornings before school between 7:45-8:45am in the Sports hall run by the Specialist Music Teacher Mr Osborn. Orchestra does not run in Autumn 1 as it starts after the October half-term holiday.
Playing in an orchestra is an incredibly enjoyable and valuable experience which develops musicianship. Players learn to fit in with other musicians, listening to them and understanding how the music they are playing fits in with what is going on around them. The process of rehearsing and performing with a diverse range of instruments in an orchestra is challenging but highly rewarding and can develop skills that can be applied to all walks of life such as confidence, resilience, team work and listening to name a few. Players who are part of an Orchestra tend to make faster progress than if they were playing alone.
How to join Orchestra
The Fielding Orchestra is an invitation-only club. To become a member of Orchestra pupils must sign up for an informal audition in October on one of the following instruments: (Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Flute, Clarinet, Oboe, Bassoon, Alto Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone, French Horn, Drums/percussion). Dates of auditions will be published on the Music Page in Autumn 1 and announced at Music Assemblies. If you are already a member of Fielding Orchestra, you do not need to re-audition and you do not need to have music lessons at Fielding to audition for the Fielding Orchestra.
To be considered for a place in Orchestra you will need to satisfy the following criteria:
- You must play an orchestral instrument (see list above). Guitarists, pianists and recorder players are not eligible to join.
- You should be about Grade 1 standard (or working towards grade 1). If you are not sure, ask your instrumental teacher (you do not have to have taken a grade exam).
- You will have to pass an audition (details below).
- You will have to commit to attending as many rehearsals as you can and all concerts. Rehearsals are on Wednesday mornings between 7:45-8:45am in the Sports Hall
There are 2 parts to the audition:
- You should bring along a piece to play. The piece should show off your playing skills to their best.
- You will have a short interview. You might be asked questions like: Why do you want to join Orchestra? What is special to you about the instrument you play?
Not everyone passes the audition but to have the best chance, you should prepare and practise your piece and think about why you really would like to join. If you are not quite ready at your first audition, it is possible to re-audition the following year.
How to apply for an audition:
At the start of October you can sign up for an audition slot on the sign up sheet, which is located on the Music room door. You must say which instrument you play.
The Fielding Orchestra performed the Christmas music they had been rehearsing on Monday 13th December 2021. Due to covid rules, there was no audience so it was recorded. See below for the recordings of the performance by clicking full screen icon and scrolling down using scroll bar to click on the 3 videos.
We are delighted to announce our next performance will be in front of an audience on Monday 11th July 2022 at 2:15pm. Location to be confirmed shortly.